As part of the Fruitful Congregations Journey (read about the first parts of the process here) that our church continues on, we are starting a Daniel Fast tomorrow evening at 7pm for 21 days. The basis for the Daniel Fast comes from Daniel chapter 1 where Daniel tells the king’s chief official to “Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.” (1:12-13).
The Daniel Fast has a variety of versions, a simple Google search will reveal that quite quickly. Our church has decided to follow these simple guidelines:
- Eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, tofu, etc. and drink only water.
- Avoid meat, dairy, eggs, caffeine, carbonated beverages, flour, honey, butter, high fat (fried) foods, excessive preservatives, and sugars.
A couple things to keep in mind:
- Make sure you are medically able to fast.
- If you have dietary issues that limit your food choices, choose something else to fast from (TV, dining out, etc.). The point is to make this a spiritual exercise.
- Discuss the fast with your family and come up with a plan to observe the fast together.
- Feel free to fast and pray for the entire 21 days or whatever time length works best for you.
We are praying for this to be a time of wisdom, guidance, and discernment for our church as we seek to hear from God. DO NOT FORGET the significance of prayer during this time and always. Come back here to share your experiences or learnings during the fast or from previous fasts you’ve done.