365 days. 8,760 hours. 52 weeks. 12 months. All of these equal 1 year. Less than a year from now Sunrise, a campus of Castleton United Methodist Church, launches as a new, stand-alone United Methodist church. July 1 of 2015. In the next three posts I’ll be unpacking the Vision for this new church that was rolled out over the past three Sundays.
Living. Learning. Loving.
living life together learning to be like Christ so we might love like Christ
The emphasis of this new vision is on relationships. Relationships with each other (Living), with God (Learning), and our community (Loving). We read of Jesus sitting at the table with disciples, tax collectors, “sinners” (Luke 5:27-32) and religious leaders (Luke 7:36-40). Living life together is about life centered around the image of the table, where all are welcome to have a seat.
living life together…
- …is creating a space to belong despite the messiness of life
- it’s sinner & “saint” sitting at the same table
- …is the way in which we invite individuals to connect with one another
- this is recognizing we were made to be in relationship with each other
- …is supporting, encouraging & challenging each other through the formation of community
- this means we are not doing life alone
- this is a way of saving ourselves from ourselves
- …is receiving grace and giving grace as we freely receive it
- we must not only give grace but be willing to receive it as well
Listen online to the sermon where I begin to unpack this vision here.