365 days. 8,760 hours. 52 weeks. 12 months. All of these equal 1 year. Less than a year from now Sunrise, a campus of Castleton United Methodist Church, launches as a new, stand-alone United Methodist church. July 1 of 2015. In the next three posts I’ll be unpacking the Vision for this new church that was rolled out over the past couple weeks.
Living. Learning. Loving.
living life together learning to be like Christ so we might love like Christ
The emphasis of this new vision is on relationships. Relationships with each other (Living), with God (Learning), and our community (Loving). In Deuteronomy 6:1-9 we read of the importance to talk about the things of God, to write them on our hearts as we learn what it looks like to follow Jesus.
learning to be like Christ…
- …is participating in the journey of becoming more like Christ within community
- it’s about starting the journey and traveling together
- …is the pursuit of holiness through the practice of spiritual disciplines
- Matthew 11:28-30
- this requires more than simply attending weekly worship, it means spending time in scripture, prayer, service, etc. throughout the week as well
- …is the recognition that each individual has room for growth in his or her relationship w/Christ
- this is hearing Jesus say, “be perfect…” and working toward it
- …is the intentional & continual process of creating disciples for the transformation of the world
- this is Jesus telling us to “Go and make disciples…” (Matthew 28:18-20)
Listen online to the sermon where I unpack this part of the vision here.